Want to know how to go from being a zombie mom to energy on fire in the morning? Then you should consider having a morning routine.
So, let’s talk about the power of a morning routine and how having one can help you be more productive throughout the day:
- Having a routine in the morning is important because it allows your body to get into the flow. It allows you to not have to think about the decisions that you’re about to make, but just being able to go into motion, one thing after another.
- A good morning routine makes you more productive all day long with a clearer and a more focused mind.
- It helps you have loads of energy all day. Depending on what your morning routine is, it can uplift your spirit throughout the day so it is important to adopt a routine that is unique to you.
So, what is the first thing that you do when you wake up? Most of us get on our phone, or a computer the minute we get out of bed to check social media or emails, this might not be the best way to start your day. How you start your day can really have a positive or negative impact on the rest of your day so it is important to set the right morning routine that is unique to you because what helps you get energy might be different from mine. Here are some of the morning routines that gives me energy all day long:
- I get energy from spending spiritual time alone. I feel calmer throughout the day whenever I wake up as early as 5:00 am to have a Bible study versus if my kids just wake me up and I go about my daily chores.
- Getting my workout in before I go to work. This gives me loads of energy throughout the day and from experience, whenever I don’t work out early I often find myself procrastinating and I might end up not getting it done at the end of the day.
- Listening to uplifting or inspirational messages. This can be in form of an audiobook, a podcast, or music that helps me get into an upbeat mood that keeps me inspired all day long.
- Writing down my to-do list and going to bed at a decent hour at night. Our brain is such a powerful force that goes to work and start strategizing on our to-do list for the next day while we are sleeping and the morning we will already have a clear vision on how to go about the day.
Want to indulge in your sweet cravings and still lose weight?
Let’s talk about how you can eat healthy without feeling deprived, for instance, I still eat pizza, chocolate, and ice cream and I was able to lose 30 pounds. Most of the time when we are on a diet or trying to lose weight, we often limit ourselves to boring foods which we do not really enjoy just because they are the typical “healthy foods” but there are ways you can infuse the foods you absolutely love in your diet and still get your desired results.
Here are some ways to help you eat healthy without feeling deprived of the foods you love and how to ‘’eat your cake and have it’’ while on your weight loss journey:
- The 80/20 rule: Moderation is everything. When you deprive yourself of certain foods, it becomes all that you can think about, but when you allow yourself to indulge in your favorite foods as part of your lifestyle and healthy diet, then you won’t feel so deprived and there will be If you are eating and putting good things into your body 80% of the time, the other 20% won’t matter so much. You can still have a glass of wine or a chocolate brownie from time to time.
- Allow yourself those treats: Apart from just making it part of your diet, treat yourself to something nice on the weekend. If you ate salads Monday through Friday, allow yourself to have that baked potato, or a piece of pizza if it’s going to make you happy. Indulge occasionally in those things that would make your weight loss journey fun for you.
- Celebrate your accomplishments.Celebrate everything! So many times we get so focused on the goal that we fail to see every little progress we’ve made. Celebrate it at day one, celebrate it at day five, celebrate it at two weeks. Find ways to celebrate that doesn’t have anything to do with food so you don’t go overboard – buy yourself a new workout outfit, treat yourself to a massage or get your nails done. Whatever is going to make you happy just make sure you celebrate yourself.
Cold and flu season seemed to really take over this year. Are you constantly sick and can’t seem to find your way back to health? As a working mom I don’t have time to be sick. I don’t have time to deal with sick kids and I know you don’t either. We like to keep our immune system boosted as much as possible.
A few years ago, my husband would get sick every time the weather changed! We had a medicine cabinet full of supplements and vitamins – but it didn’t seem to matter.
Would you believe we haven’t been sick in 2+ years – even with two kids in public school!
Things keeping you sick and your immune system compromised
- Processed Foods
- High Stress Levels
- Excess amounts of tobacco, alcohol and other toxins
- Lots of over the counter medicines and antibiotics.
To keep your immune system strong
Eat lots of whole foods and eat most of your meals at home.
Overly processed foods has a lot of chemicals and preservatives and the nutrition quality is depleted. It is best to be eating foods as close to their natural state as possible. Grab my 10-minute breakfast recipes here.
Exercise and move your body daily.
Exercise is a great immune booster. It gets your body moving, blood flowing and helps your body handle other outside stresses better. So get outside, take the dog or the kids for a walk and get moving.
Ditch the toxins out of your diet – this includes excessive amounts of sugar, processed foods, high fructose corn syrup, and alcohol.
The added toxins in the body add unneeded stress. We want to keep stress levels to a minimum, so that when a virus tries to come in your body has the strength to fight it off.
Finally – invest in high quality supplements. You should be using a multi-vitamin, fish oil, calcium and magnesium, at minumum.
Now, I know not everyone eats healthy – all the time. My kids don’t eat a lot of veggies. I do my best but you can only do what you can. It is a good idea to fill in the gaps. Only very few people eat the recommended six to nine servings of vegetables. My kids definitely don’t. Sometimes I don’t even. One thing we do is we have a shake that we use at snack time. It’s got over 21 vitamins and minerals in it.
We get all our vitamins and supplements from Herbalife.
Take in extra vitamin C during high stress and cold and flu season.
One of my favorite products to keep our immune system strong is Best Defense. This has echinacea, zinc, and vitamin C. It is my secret weapon. I just take a tablet and drop it in some water, and then see it fizz. It is orange flavor and the kids love it!!
At back-to-school season, usually right when school is starting up I invest. Yes, your health is an investment. I invest in extra Best Defense. I will just throw these in. Maybe once a week I’ll drink one by myself and then I’ll also pour one for the kids. It’s just a good idea to have this on hand. I take this whenever I’m feeling something come on. I will drink a glass, and usually, within 24 hours it’s gone.
Echinacea is great to boost that immune system. Vitamin C and zinc all help keep your immune system up and keep those defenses from coming into your body, things that we don’t like, the germies that the kids are picking up at school. If you work at a public place, whether you work in retail or you work in a hospital, a doctor’s office, you need to keep your immune system boosted so that your body is able to defend itself from those viruses that are coming in.
Are you eating healthy + working out and not seeing the scale move? Are you wondering what and how to actually eat, so you hit your goals faster?
Let’s talk about how to eat for fat loss, so you can hit your goals faster.
It doesn’t matter how much you are working out, if you’re eating like crap, it’d be harder to lose weight. Once you hit 30, your metabolism slows down, your hormones start changing and you have to be mindful of what you eat. You can no longer do the vending machine drive-by or get meals at the gas station or else it is going to be harder and harder to hit your goals.
So, what you should be doing and eating if you are trying to lose weight? This is how I was able to lose over 30 pounds pretty shortly within a four to six-month period, and I teach in my program Simplified Slim Down.
- Eat a healthy breakfast.
There is so much research on how eating a breakfast is beneficial for more energy, more focus and those who eat a nutritious breakfast, actually, eat less overall in the day. In this post, I break down why you should make breakfast a priority. Click here for 10 recipes for wholesome, nutritious, balanced breakfasts that the whole family will love.
- Eat frequent meals.You want to make sure you are eating every few hours. A lot of times, we get really busy and sometimes, we forget to eat. Especially as busy women – we are moms, we are working and we get so busy on taking care of everyone else. Sometimes, we forget to take care of ourselves, and I was in that where I would forget to eat or I couldn’t remember the last time I did eat.Don’t let your body to go into starvation mode,
To avoid this, you can set a timer on your phone as a reminder to let you know when it is time to eat and set it to remind you daily. This has helped me a lot whenever I forget to eat because of my busy schedule. I recommend this to all my new clients.
- Minimize processed foods. Shift away from eating fast food, and convenience-type food and start eating real whole foods. You can find a lot of healthy pre-cut vegetables and fruit or ready-made salads to save you some time in the kitchen. Planning ahead wins every time.
Here are some staples that you should have around in the house and will help you reach your goal faster:
- Whole fruits, vegetables and lean proteins like chicken, turkey, and fish.
- Dairy products but make sure it is not processed dairy. My favorites are cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, cheese cubes and goat cheese which I absolutely love.
- Lots of seeds and nuts, nut butters and eggs as these are all sources of healthy fats.
- Healthy oils like olive oil, avocado oil, and walnut oil. These are some healthy oils to start with but stay away from vegetable oil; it is not so good for you.
- Use spices to mix up your flavoring in your meals.
If you need a simple and tangible grocery list that you can take to the grocery store every week, then grab my grocery list for easy shopping. All my staples are on there and it made my grocery shopping a lot easier. Having these staples in my pantry on a regular basis helped me eat healthily and help me reach my goals faster.
Treat yourself and your sweet tooth, with these fat burning chocolate truffles.
Did you know fat is the macro that affects your blood sugar the LEAST?
The past several months, I have been learning more about macros, specifically which macros or combinations to help with fat loss and increasing metabolism. I am learning about the female hormones, how our metabolism works and how to deal with weight loss resistance.
As I am learning, I am also testing on my own body. I am testing different foods, different macros percentages and different workouts. So stay tuned, as I will be sharing more in the future.
High fat and low carb diets have been proven to help with weight loss, especially those in weight loss resistance, insulin resistance and those with a history of diabetes.
Try these mint chocolate truffles – you won’t even know they are actually good for you and will help burn fat! My kids even loved them!
1/2 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup chocolate protein powder
2 drops stevia
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Pinch pink salt
4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
Combine in a food processor, roll into balls and chill.
For this recipe, I used 50/50 mint chocolate and Dutch chocolate formula 1 meal replacement, instead of mint extract.
Optional – Combine melted coconut oil and protein powder or raw cocoa powder and drizzle over the balls, for extra chocolatey goodness. We didn’t think it needed it.
Keeping my sweet tooth satisfied has been the #1 thing that has allowed me to be successful and not feel deprived.
Free Download for 10 fast and easy breakfasts
Struggling with motivation? Sorry, but motivation is only temporary, but you can develop discipline. Here are 3 ways I stayed motivated to drop 30 pounds.
At the end of 2013, I hit my rock bottom. I had two kids, I was working from home, making very little money and had a shaky marriage. I had no friends and very little family I could count on. My health was declining, I had no time for myself and I had been struggling with depression on and off for over 5 years.
I needed to make some changes and make them fast.
I stepped into 2014 like I was about to make something happen – but I didn’t know what.
There is a difference between motivation and discipline.
I hear a lot of my clients and potential clients will ask me how do you get motivated? How do you stay motivated?
Motivation is only temporary. 80% of people give up on their New Year’s Resolutions by February 19. 6 weeks into the New Year.
I think it is important to set goals. But let’s be honest. Motivation only lasts a couple hours or a few days. Then, we sink back into old habits, old mindsets and old comfort zones.
The key to hitting your goals is to reverse engineer – make sure you are not biting off more than you can chew. Then, creating daily habits that supports your goals.
It is so easy to set a goal – but it is another thing altogether to change your habits and your lifestyle to reach that goal.
In a matter of a few months, I dropped 30 pounds, got my energy back and started making extra money on the side.
How I did it was super simple – but not easy.
I had UBER focus. I knew where I needed to be and I was laser focused on getting there. I knew taking control of my health was goal #1 to getting my life back on track.
1. I set new goals every month. I was constantly upping myself and going bigger. I was my only competition.
2. I had a daily focus list. I had 3-4 things I focused on every day, until it became second nature. If you want to change something in your life, it starts with something you do daily.
3. Every month was a fresh start. It didn’t matter if I hit my goal from the month before. I started over every single month.
Are you ready to for some change? Grab my focus planner and start hitting those goals!