Want to know how to go from being a zombie mom to energy on fire in the morning? Then you should consider having a morning routine.
So, let’s talk about the power of a morning routine and how having one can help you be more productive throughout the day:
- Having a routine in the morning is important because it allows your body to get into the flow. It allows you to not have to think about the decisions that you’re about to make, but just being able to go into motion, one thing after another.
- A good morning routine makes you more productive all day long with a clearer and a more focused mind.
- It helps you have loads of energy all day. Depending on what your morning routine is, it can uplift your spirit throughout the day so it is important to adopt a routine that is unique to you.
So, what is the first thing that you do when you wake up? Most of us get on our phone, or a computer the minute we get out of bed to check social media or emails, this might not be the best way to start your day. How you start your day can really have a positive or negative impact on the rest of your day so it is important to set the right morning routine that is unique to you because what helps you get energy might be different from mine. Here are some of the morning routines that gives me energy all day long:
- I get energy from spending spiritual time alone. I feel calmer throughout the day whenever I wake up as early as 5:00 am to have a Bible study versus if my kids just wake me up and I go about my daily chores.
- Getting my workout in before I go to work. This gives me loads of energy throughout the day and from experience, whenever I don’t work out early I often find myself procrastinating and I might end up not getting it done at the end of the day.
- Listening to uplifting or inspirational messages. This can be in form of an audiobook, a podcast, or music that helps me get into an upbeat mood that keeps me inspired all day long.
- Writing down my to-do list and going to bed at a decent hour at night. Our brain is such a powerful force that goes to work and start strategizing on our to-do list for the next day while we are sleeping and the morning we will already have a clear vision on how to go about the day.
Want to indulge in your sweet cravings and still lose weight?
Let’s talk about how you can eat healthy without feeling deprived, for instance, I still eat pizza, chocolate, and ice cream and I was able to lose 30 pounds. Most of the time when we are on a diet or trying to lose weight, we often limit ourselves to boring foods which we do not really enjoy just because they are the typical “healthy foods” but there are ways you can infuse the foods you absolutely love in your diet and still get your desired results.
Here are some ways to help you eat healthy without feeling deprived of the foods you love and how to ‘’eat your cake and have it’’ while on your weight loss journey:
- The 80/20 rule: Moderation is everything. When you deprive yourself of certain foods, it becomes all that you can think about, but when you allow yourself to indulge in your favorite foods as part of your lifestyle and healthy diet, then you won’t feel so deprived and there will be If you are eating and putting good things into your body 80% of the time, the other 20% won’t matter so much. You can still have a glass of wine or a chocolate brownie from time to time.
- Allow yourself those treats: Apart from just making it part of your diet, treat yourself to something nice on the weekend. If you ate salads Monday through Friday, allow yourself to have that baked potato, or a piece of pizza if it’s going to make you happy. Indulge occasionally in those things that would make your weight loss journey fun for you.
- Celebrate your accomplishments.Celebrate everything! So many times we get so focused on the goal that we fail to see every little progress we’ve made. Celebrate it at day one, celebrate it at day five, celebrate it at two weeks. Find ways to celebrate that doesn’t have anything to do with food so you don’t go overboard – buy yourself a new workout outfit, treat yourself to a massage or get your nails done. Whatever is going to make you happy just make sure you celebrate yourself.
Cold and flu season seemed to really take over this year. Are you constantly sick and can’t seem to find your way back to health? As a working mom I don’t have time to be sick. I don’t have time to deal with sick kids and I know you don’t either. We like to keep our immune system boosted as much as possible.
A few years ago, my husband would get sick every time the weather changed! We had a medicine cabinet full of supplements and vitamins – but it didn’t seem to matter.
Would you believe we haven’t been sick in 2+ years – even with two kids in public school!
Things keeping you sick and your immune system compromised
- Processed Foods
- High Stress Levels
- Excess amounts of tobacco, alcohol and other toxins
- Lots of over the counter medicines and antibiotics.
To keep your immune system strong
Eat lots of whole foods and eat most of your meals at home.
Overly processed foods has a lot of chemicals and preservatives and the nutrition quality is depleted. It is best to be eating foods as close to their natural state as possible. Grab my 10-minute breakfast recipes here.
Exercise and move your body daily.
Exercise is a great immune booster. It gets your body moving, blood flowing and helps your body handle other outside stresses better. So get outside, take the dog or the kids for a walk and get moving.
Ditch the toxins out of your diet – this includes excessive amounts of sugar, processed foods, high fructose corn syrup, and alcohol.
The added toxins in the body add unneeded stress. We want to keep stress levels to a minimum, so that when a virus tries to come in your body has the strength to fight it off.
Finally – invest in high quality supplements. You should be using a multi-vitamin, fish oil, calcium and magnesium, at minumum.
Now, I know not everyone eats healthy – all the time. My kids don’t eat a lot of veggies. I do my best but you can only do what you can. It is a good idea to fill in the gaps. Only very few people eat the recommended six to nine servings of vegetables. My kids definitely don’t. Sometimes I don’t even. One thing we do is we have a shake that we use at snack time. It’s got over 21 vitamins and minerals in it.
We get all our vitamins and supplements from Herbalife.
Take in extra vitamin C during high stress and cold and flu season.
One of my favorite products to keep our immune system strong is Best Defense. This has echinacea, zinc, and vitamin C. It is my secret weapon. I just take a tablet and drop it in some water, and then see it fizz. It is orange flavor and the kids love it!!
At back-to-school season, usually right when school is starting up I invest. Yes, your health is an investment. I invest in extra Best Defense. I will just throw these in. Maybe once a week I’ll drink one by myself and then I’ll also pour one for the kids. It’s just a good idea to have this on hand. I take this whenever I’m feeling something come on. I will drink a glass, and usually, within 24 hours it’s gone.
Echinacea is great to boost that immune system. Vitamin C and zinc all help keep your immune system up and keep those defenses from coming into your body, things that we don’t like, the germies that the kids are picking up at school. If you work at a public place, whether you work in retail or you work in a hospital, a doctor’s office, you need to keep your immune system boosted so that your body is able to defend itself from those viruses that are coming in.
Are you eating healthy + working out and not seeing the scale move? Are you wondering what and how to actually eat, so you hit your goals faster?
Let’s talk about how to eat for fat loss, so you can hit your goals faster.
It doesn’t matter how much you are working out, if you’re eating like crap, it’d be harder to lose weight. Once you hit 30, your metabolism slows down, your hormones start changing and you have to be mindful of what you eat. You can no longer do the vending machine drive-by or get meals at the gas station or else it is going to be harder and harder to hit your goals.
So, what you should be doing and eating if you are trying to lose weight? This is how I was able to lose over 30 pounds pretty shortly within a four to six-month period, and I teach in my program Simplified Slim Down.
- Eat a healthy breakfast.
There is so much research on how eating a breakfast is beneficial for more energy, more focus and those who eat a nutritious breakfast, actually, eat less overall in the day. In this post, I break down why you should make breakfast a priority. Click here for 10 recipes for wholesome, nutritious, balanced breakfasts that the whole family will love.
- Eat frequent meals.You want to make sure you are eating every few hours. A lot of times, we get really busy and sometimes, we forget to eat. Especially as busy women – we are moms, we are working and we get so busy on taking care of everyone else. Sometimes, we forget to take care of ourselves, and I was in that where I would forget to eat or I couldn’t remember the last time I did eat.Don’t let your body to go into starvation mode,
To avoid this, you can set a timer on your phone as a reminder to let you know when it is time to eat and set it to remind you daily. This has helped me a lot whenever I forget to eat because of my busy schedule. I recommend this to all my new clients.
- Minimize processed foods. Shift away from eating fast food, and convenience-type food and start eating real whole foods. You can find a lot of healthy pre-cut vegetables and fruit or ready-made salads to save you some time in the kitchen. Planning ahead wins every time.
Here are some staples that you should have around in the house and will help you reach your goal faster:
- Whole fruits, vegetables and lean proteins like chicken, turkey, and fish.
- Dairy products but make sure it is not processed dairy. My favorites are cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, cheese cubes and goat cheese which I absolutely love.
- Lots of seeds and nuts, nut butters and eggs as these are all sources of healthy fats.
- Healthy oils like olive oil, avocado oil, and walnut oil. These are some healthy oils to start with but stay away from vegetable oil; it is not so good for you.
- Use spices to mix up your flavoring in your meals.
If you need a simple and tangible grocery list that you can take to the grocery store every week, then grab my grocery list for easy shopping. All my staples are on there and it made my grocery shopping a lot easier. Having these staples in my pantry on a regular basis helped me eat healthily and help me reach my goals faster.
Snacking is Good.
So there’s a lot of conflicting information out there about snacking and if it’s good or bad. So let’s get something straight: snacking is not bad. Snacking is good. It’s good to fuel your body; to be putting in good things in your body consistently, throughout the day. Your body is like a machine and you’re not gonna drive 200 miles and expect to not stop for gas, right? And putting food in your body, snacking throughout the day is the same way. If you wanna keep that energy and that focus up, you need to be constantly putting food into your body.
The Bad Snacks
These are examples of not so great snacks:
- excess sugar
- excess salt
- potato chips
- candy bars
The Good Snacks
There are better out there that are made up of whole foods such as the following:
- fresh fruits and vegetables
- plant based protein
- animal proteins
- chicken salad or wrap
- nuts or seeds
So the excess sugars, the excess salts, those are what causes our body be low on energy. When we eat foods that are high in sugar and salt; but low in nutrition; we may get energy quickly, but we end up crashing 1-2 hours later, and looking for something else.
If you want energy to sustain you throughout the day, you want to choose foods that are high in nutrient value and in their most natural state, lots of whole foods and snacks.
It is important to be eating every few hours.
I know in the beginning, I had trouble with this. It is easy to get busy with work, errands and kids.
If you have a hard time remembering to eat, I suggest setting a timer, as a reminder.
Here are some high protein snacks to get you started.
- High Protein Dip for fruit – Get the recipe here.
- Peanut Butter Banana RollUps – Get the recipe here.
- Spinach Quiche Cups – Get the recipe here.
- Zucchini Tuna Cakes – Get the recipe here.
- Apple Protein Cookies – Get the recipe here.
- Skinny Bell Pepper Nacho Boats – Get the recipe here.
- Turkey and Cheese Rolls – Get the recipe here.
Ways to drink more water and make it fun.
There are days I do well drinking water and there are days that the time gets away from me. It is easy to get busy, working, playing with the kids and before you know it; it is dinner time and you only had two glasses of water. Here are some tricks I use to get more water in, over the course of my day.
Ways to know if you are dehydrated
- Your pee should be the color of lemonade.
- Most of the time when we feel hungry, we are actually just dehydrated.
We all know to drink more water, but most of us do not.
Our body is made up of up to 70% water. We need it to help our bodies operate properly. It helps with digestion, inflammation, removing toxins from the body and more. It helps your heart pump better, helps the joints move better and the kidneys function, better.
- weight loss,
- increasing energy,
- getting rid of excess water weight and
- clearer skin.
How Do You Get the Water In?
We know we need to drink more water, easier said than done, right?
There are different ways to remind yourself to drink water.
- Set a timer
- Drink a glass on the top of every hour
- Add a rubber band to your water bottle, to keep track.
- Use an app on your phone
What If You Get Bored of Drinking Water?
One common complaint I hear from clients, is we get tired of drinking water or don’t like the taste.
I like to add fruit to my water to change the flavor. Use a fruit infuser, like this one. Some of my favorite flavors.
- Strawberry Lime
- Lemon Lime
- Lime Mint
- Strawberry Mint
- Apple Cinnamon
15 Sassy Water combinations – Click here download 15 new recipes and combinations
We should be drinking half of our body weight in ounces of water. The bigger you are, the more water you need. It just makes sense because an 80-pound child isn’t gonna need as much water as maybe a 200-pound man, right? So, that’s an easy way to figure out how much water you should be drinking. So, I weigh between 130-140 pounds and so I know that I need 70 ounces of water everyday.
Bonus: Get yourself a fun water bottle (like this one) to make drinking more fun.