Want to indulge in your sweet cravings and still lose weight?
Let’s talk about how you can eat healthy without feeling deprived, for instance, I still eat pizza, chocolate, and ice cream and I was able to lose 30 pounds. Most of the time when we are on a diet or trying to lose weight, we often limit ourselves to boring foods which we do not really enjoy just because they are the typical “healthy foods” but there are ways you can infuse the foods you absolutely love in your diet and still get your desired results.
Here are some ways to help you eat healthy without feeling deprived of the foods you love and how to ‘’eat your cake and have it’’ while on your weight loss journey:
- The 80/20 rule: Moderation is everything. When you deprive yourself of certain foods, it becomes all that you can think about, but when you allow yourself to indulge in your favorite foods as part of your lifestyle and healthy diet, then you won’t feel so deprived and there will be If you are eating and putting good things into your body 80% of the time, the other 20% won’t matter so much. You can still have a glass of wine or a chocolate brownie from time to time.
- Allow yourself those treats: Apart from just making it part of your diet, treat yourself to something nice on the weekend. If you ate salads Monday through Friday, allow yourself to have that baked potato, or a piece of pizza if it’s going to make you happy. Indulge occasionally in those things that would make your weight loss journey fun for you.
- Celebrate your accomplishments.Celebrate everything! So many times we get so focused on the goal that we fail to see every little progress we’ve made. Celebrate it at day one, celebrate it at day five, celebrate it at two weeks. Find ways to celebrate that doesn’t have anything to do with food so you don’t go overboard – buy yourself a new workout outfit, treat yourself to a massage or get your nails done. Whatever is going to make you happy just make sure you celebrate yourself.
Are you eating healthy + working out and not seeing the scale move? Are you wondering what and how to actually eat, so you hit your goals faster?
Let’s talk about how to eat for fat loss, so you can hit your goals faster.
It doesn’t matter how much you are working out, if you’re eating like crap, it’d be harder to lose weight. Once you hit 30, your metabolism slows down, your hormones start changing and you have to be mindful of what you eat. You can no longer do the vending machine drive-by or get meals at the gas station or else it is going to be harder and harder to hit your goals.
So, what you should be doing and eating if you are trying to lose weight? This is how I was able to lose over 30 pounds pretty shortly within a four to six-month period, and I teach in my program Simplified Slim Down.
- Eat a healthy breakfast.
There is so much research on how eating a breakfast is beneficial for more energy, more focus and those who eat a nutritious breakfast, actually, eat less overall in the day. In this post, I break down why you should make breakfast a priority. Click here for 10 recipes for wholesome, nutritious, balanced breakfasts that the whole family will love.
- Eat frequent meals.You want to make sure you are eating every few hours. A lot of times, we get really busy and sometimes, we forget to eat. Especially as busy women – we are moms, we are working and we get so busy on taking care of everyone else. Sometimes, we forget to take care of ourselves, and I was in that where I would forget to eat or I couldn’t remember the last time I did eat.Don’t let your body to go into starvation mode,
To avoid this, you can set a timer on your phone as a reminder to let you know when it is time to eat and set it to remind you daily. This has helped me a lot whenever I forget to eat because of my busy schedule. I recommend this to all my new clients.
- Minimize processed foods. Shift away from eating fast food, and convenience-type food and start eating real whole foods. You can find a lot of healthy pre-cut vegetables and fruit or ready-made salads to save you some time in the kitchen. Planning ahead wins every time.
Here are some staples that you should have around in the house and will help you reach your goal faster:
- Whole fruits, vegetables and lean proteins like chicken, turkey, and fish.
- Dairy products but make sure it is not processed dairy. My favorites are cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, cheese cubes and goat cheese which I absolutely love.
- Lots of seeds and nuts, nut butters and eggs as these are all sources of healthy fats.
- Healthy oils like olive oil, avocado oil, and walnut oil. These are some healthy oils to start with but stay away from vegetable oil; it is not so good for you.
- Use spices to mix up your flavoring in your meals.
If you need a simple and tangible grocery list that you can take to the grocery store every week, then grab my grocery list for easy shopping. All my staples are on there and it made my grocery shopping a lot easier. Having these staples in my pantry on a regular basis helped me eat healthily and help me reach my goals faster.
Treat yourself and your sweet tooth, with these fat burning chocolate truffles.
Did you know fat is the macro that affects your blood sugar the LEAST?
The past several months, I have been learning more about macros, specifically which macros or combinations to help with fat loss and increasing metabolism. I am learning about the female hormones, how our metabolism works and how to deal with weight loss resistance.
As I am learning, I am also testing on my own body. I am testing different foods, different macros percentages and different workouts. So stay tuned, as I will be sharing more in the future.
High fat and low carb diets have been proven to help with weight loss, especially those in weight loss resistance, insulin resistance and those with a history of diabetes.
Try these mint chocolate truffles – you won’t even know they are actually good for you and will help burn fat! My kids even loved them!
1/2 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup chocolate protein powder
2 drops stevia
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Pinch pink salt
4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
Combine in a food processor, roll into balls and chill.
For this recipe, I used 50/50 mint chocolate and Dutch chocolate formula 1 meal replacement, instead of mint extract.
Optional – Combine melted coconut oil and protein powder or raw cocoa powder and drizzle over the balls, for extra chocolatey goodness. We didn’t think it needed it.
Keeping my sweet tooth satisfied has been the #1 thing that has allowed me to be successful and not feel deprived.
Free Download for 10 fast and easy breakfasts
Struggling with motivation? Sorry, but motivation is only temporary, but you can develop discipline. Here are 3 ways I stayed motivated to drop 30 pounds.
At the end of 2013, I hit my rock bottom. I had two kids, I was working from home, making very little money and had a shaky marriage. I had no friends and very little family I could count on. My health was declining, I had no time for myself and I had been struggling with depression on and off for over 5 years.
I needed to make some changes and make them fast.
I stepped into 2014 like I was about to make something happen – but I didn’t know what.
There is a difference between motivation and discipline.
I hear a lot of my clients and potential clients will ask me how do you get motivated? How do you stay motivated?
Motivation is only temporary. 80% of people give up on their New Year’s Resolutions by February 19. 6 weeks into the New Year.
I think it is important to set goals. But let’s be honest. Motivation only lasts a couple hours or a few days. Then, we sink back into old habits, old mindsets and old comfort zones.
The key to hitting your goals is to reverse engineer – make sure you are not biting off more than you can chew. Then, creating daily habits that supports your goals.
It is so easy to set a goal – but it is another thing altogether to change your habits and your lifestyle to reach that goal.
In a matter of a few months, I dropped 30 pounds, got my energy back and started making extra money on the side.
How I did it was super simple – but not easy.
I had UBER focus. I knew where I needed to be and I was laser focused on getting there. I knew taking control of my health was goal #1 to getting my life back on track.
1. I set new goals every month. I was constantly upping myself and going bigger. I was my only competition.
2. I had a daily focus list. I had 3-4 things I focused on every day, until it became second nature. If you want to change something in your life, it starts with something you do daily.
3. Every month was a fresh start. It didn’t matter if I hit my goal from the month before. I started over every single month.
Are you ready to for some change? Grab my focus planner and start hitting those goals!
Lots of people want to lose weight – but few actually follow through with it; and even less actually keep it off.
Weight loss is one the very top new year’s resolutions, every single year. If weight loss is your goal, this year, I want to share with you some sexy mindset shifts it took for me to finally drop the weight and drop it for good.
Actually, these mindset shifts can apply to any goal you have.
Let me tell you a little bit of my back story, if you don’t know already. I tried so many diets. I tried so many different ways of losing weight, and I was largely unsuccessful. In my ’20s, I gained some weight in college drinking and eating lots of fast food, and I did go on to lose 20 to 25 pounds, which came off relatively easy with just a couple shifts, working out every day, but then after I had kids, that never happened again – despite many attempts.
1. It takes a DECISION.
After my second child, I was so tired of being over weight, my son was five years old, and I had been overweight, I had never lost the baby weight. I’d been carrying on an extra 20, 30, even up to 40 pounds of extra weight for five years. And so, when I was about eight or nine months pregnant with my daughter, I just made a decision that I wasn’t gonna carry that baby weight around any longer, and it was going to come off no matter what,
When you get to the point where you are ready to make it happen, it will. Most people want to lose weight, but don’t believe they can really do it or they think it has to be too hard and they talk themselves out of it.
2. Change what you think about.
You have to change what you’re thinking about and those internal thoughts, that internal dialogue that’s going on in your head. I had to change how I thought and how I talked to myself about my commitment level, about healthy foods, what I thought about exercise.
3. It is already done.
Step into it like you are already there. What would the fit version of you eat? What would she drink? How many times does she workout? Step into that version and you will be half way there.
I dropped 30 pounds, never setting foot in a gym.
May 2014 to September 2014
I’ve also been able to improve my marriage, work less while making the same amount and completely transform my life.
The brain is powerful and can do amazing things. You are in the drivers seat. Where do you want to go? Are you ready to put your car in drive? or are you stuck in neutral?
Do you ever wonder why you are not losing weight? Maybe there is more to than just calories in and calories out – there is. You can be “eating healthy” and still not lose weight. Read more about that here. Your metabolism could be at play, but there are things you can do to boost the metabolism.
If you have been following me for any period of time, you know I struggled with adrenaline fatigue – which we know is caused by chronic stress and nutritional deficiencies. I had very low energy levels and I couldn’t lose weight for the life of me.
Some signs of adrenal fatigue:
- Mild depression or anxiety.
- Multiple food and or inhalant allergies.
- Lethargy and lack of energy.
- Increased effort to perform daily tasks.
- Decreased ability to handle stress.
- Dry and thin skin.
- Low blood sugar.
- Low body temperature.
Find more about Adrenal Fatigue here.
If you are suffering of 2 or more of the above symptoms, you should talk to your doctor or find a functional doctor in your area.
In the meantime, here are 3 things wrecking your metabolism and what to do about it.
1. Yo yo dieting or restricting calories, then going into excess and then restricting again. This a classic case of the diet mentality.
Restrict calories to lose weight
Feel deprived of your favorite foods – so give in and over do it.
Back to the diet and low carbs, low calories.
Feeling hungry all the time and eat all the stuff you know you shouldn’t have.
Does this sound familiar?
Your metabolism is like a boomerang and it doesn’t care about your vanity reasons to lose weight. It cares about keeping you safe and keeping you healthy. And so it keeps you alive.
Your metabolism will meet you where you are.
So if you are not eating a lot of food your metabolism is going to slow down. If you are eating a lot of food and you’re working out then your metabolism will speed up. Unfortunately, most people eat less and workout more and your metabolism has no idea what is going on and will slow down, as a result.
Grab my 10 Nutrition hacks to never diet again
Stress is a huge issue and it does cause a lot of people to be stress eaters. They’re emotional eaters because there’s different things we’re going to on in our life and we feel like we’re losing control and we look to food for comfort.
And not only that but excess stress on your body is not good. We live in a society that likes to go as fast as we can, do all the things and then feel like we can never catch up.
It’s like we think we can get a gold medal for having the most on our to do list, but we don’t. And it is causing your weight gain. When you were stressed out, you really taxing your endocrine system, which manages hormones and stress levels. Stress is inevitable, but chronic stress over long periods of time (months, years) takes a toll on the body.
Find some ways to reduce your stress levels and indulge in some self care. I list several ways in my Ultimate Self Care Guide
3. Lack of sleep or lack of quality sleep
So a couple of things that might be going on is either you’re running on four hours of sleep which is not good. Or maybe you are trying to get some sleep but you are You see you are up and up and down throughout the night. You’re not sleeping very good. I know I had a bad habit of not sleeping well and I will wake up at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning and I will get inspired now come down work on stuff, then be tired the rest of the day. Your body needs sleep to rest and recharge and it needs the REM deep sleep to fully recharge, so you wake up rested and ready to go.
Have you ever tried to charge your phone, while you are still using it? The charge is much slower and less efficient than if you turn it off and just let it charge. Our bodies are the same way.
If you have trouble getting to sleep, start a bedtime routine. My secret weapon for a great nights sleep is these Relax Now and Sleep Now + essential oils. I sleep like a baby every time.
Order my favorite metabolism boosting tea – to get you started in the mornings.